Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Review: Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge!

Since I don't own the original Beauty Blender I won't be able to compare them, but I've read lots of reviews and have seen a lot of youtube recommendations for the Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge as a good dupe for the Beauty Blender. So, a few days ago I purchased it from Target for $9.99. The Beauty Blender is $19.99. The next morning, I looked up a tutorial on youtube to see the proper use for it. I watched a vid by "MakeupByTiffanyD" which was extremely helpful.

You are suppose to run the sponge under water, then squeeze the excess water out and then squeeze dry it in a towel. Then the way you are suppose to apply this is in a stippling motion, just like you would with a skunk brush (duo fibre brush ex: MAC 187). So, I put a dollop of foundation in my palm and did just that. I lightly dabbed the sponge and stippled it on my face. I noticed that I had to go back and put more foundation in my palm a couple times, which i never have to do. Meaning, it was eating up my foundation. It did put my makeup on evenly, but it did not cover well. It put my makeup very thinly on my face and I could still see redness through my makeup, which would never happen when applying with my foundation brush. Another thing was this thing wreaked of fresh rubber. The smell actually gave me a headache and made my hands smell like rubber. I've washed it quite a few times but the smell is still a little bit present. What I did like was that the sponge comes to a cone shape at the top, so it is very easy to get to areas around your eyes and around your nose, which is difficult with a brush. Also I liked that you are really in control of how much is going on your face. Sometimes when I use my brush, too much foundation will sit in some of my fine lines.. like my laugh lines on the sides of my lips, but with the blending sponge it applies the makeup on so thin that it doesn't happen.

I think this could possibly work very well with a creme foundation such as MAC Full Coverage Foundation, RCMA, Cinema Secrets or Ben Nye Foundations.. But it didn't work well with my Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation or MAC Studio Fix Fluid. I will not be using this to apply a full face of foundation, I will only be using it for touch ups.. which it works very well for that.

A lot of people love this, so don't let my opinion change your mind. It has worked great for many people. Just not for me. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment