Friday, May 27, 2011

Indie Shopping: Book Of Shadows by Anothersoul

Initial Impressions: I have a habit of browsing the make up section on Etsy looking for new things to show you and that was how I found Anothersoul's shop. They don't sell any make up, but rather magnetic cases for make up. I've been toying with buying the Z-Palette as I'm going to tear up some palettes that I've reviewed (and only liked maybe 1 or 2 things out of each) and needed a home for the pans.

These cases look to be made with card and then covered with different paper, some of the designs are really pretty. They come with a magnet inside them so they work more like Coastal Scents Hot Pot palettes, rather than MAC ones. You need a pan made of something magnetic, like tin, rather than pans with a magnet on the bottom. If you're interested in pressing minerals then TKB Trading offers pans that would work in this palette.

Unfortunately, international shipping wasn't offered but I sent a convo anyway. I received an answer back quite quickly letting me know that they'd go and get a quote from the Post Office and let me know.

Order: I ordered one of the 7"x4.5" palettes for $12.99
Shipping: To the UK - $8.00, which was about as high as I was willing to go. Seller let me know when it was posted and it got here just over a week after I ordered. The shipping quote was accurate.


What did I get?: The palette came wrapped securely with a thin layer of foam protecting it. Also included was a little thank you note and three label strips.


The whole thing is pretty well constructed. It feels more like something I'd buy in a shop, rather than something someone made at home and sold on Etsy. It's got the same feeling as your typical card Urban Decay or Too faces palette. There are two magnets holding the lid down. They're strong enough to hold it closed but it doesn't take too much to open the palette. I don't think it would stay closed if you travelled with it. I think it would open quite easily if something in your bag poked the open end.

This palette has a large magnet in the base to hold make up pans made of something like tin or steel. The metal in the pans needs to be magnetic in order to hold in the palette. Along the same lines as the Coastal Scents Hot Pots and not MAC palettes. With MAC palettes you need to have a magnet on the pan, you don't with this palette (as long as the pan isn't aluminium!).


This palette will fit 20 of the 26mm pans. These are pans such as MAC, Urban Decay, Hot Pots (which are what I've used here), Body Shop and ELF. Of course, square and rectangular pans will fit with fewer gaps.

I can't talk about the life span of the palette as I've not had it that long. I suspect it will be the same as any of the card palettes. Expect it to wear out over time along the crease and don't get it wet! Be careful with it and it should last quite a while.

Would I order again?: Yes, I like the palette. It's a good size, fits plenty of my homeless Hot Pots and I like how each one is going to be unique. Also, the customer service was great and the seller kept in contact to keep me updated with the shipping process.

*Scheduled post*

No comments:

Post a Comment