Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mint Cream, Anyone?


It all started with MAC's "Peppermint Patti", released earlier this year. Before that came along, I never would have worn a cream on my nails. And, honestly, when I originally saw the swatches from people's blogs, I wasn't impressed with the colour at all. It looked uninteresting and as though it would clash with my skin tone. Then when I got down to London, I got to see it in person. I really liked the colour in the bottle so I had to pick one up!

That was also my first MAC polish and I'd seen the warnings about the formula. It does take either 3 or 4 coats to become even and opaque but dried well enough with rapid dry top coat. It did chip after a day at work (but I have a new top coat that I'm trying out).

Barry M were next to catch my eye with "Mint Green" which again caused mass-hysteria over blog-land so it sold out everywhere. I managed to find 3 bottles (2 extras have been given out as prizes) at a Superdrug in Lincoln. It's extremely close in colour to "Peppermint Patti" (the photo with the flash exaggerates the colour difference) but the finish is a bit less opaque than the MAC's. I had to use 4 coats and I still had some show through from my nail line. It has been suggested that I try this over a white polish which will prevent the show through.

Collection 2000 released a set of new Hot Looks fast dry polishes not too long ago, and they had included a mint cream called "Button Moon" in that line up. I generally need 2 coats for the polish to be opaque. The quick dry finish does dull the shine, but I always use a top coat anyway. This one is a much fresher colour than the others, with virtually none of the yellow undertone that the other mints have. It's very obvious when they are all lined up.

The most recent to be added to my collection is OPI "Hey! Get in Lime!" which I saw over on the nail board at makeupalley. It's a little softer than "Peppermint Patti" but is closer to MAC's and Barry M as it shares the same yellow undertone. This one only arrived a couple of days ago so I haven't got round to trying it yet! The formula looks quite thin so I suspect it's going to need 4 coats.

What are you loving on your nails this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment