Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Top 10 lip products

Yes, I know, everybody seems to be blogging about this at the moment, but I love reading those posts so I shamelessly jump on the bandwagon and add mine!

Neutral/Nudes.
I don't do nude lips. Not that I don't want to - I am so jealous of all the beauty guru's who pull out nude lips so well. But on me it just looks wrong, as if I had dabbed concealer all over my lips.
I own Mac Creme d'Nude but I need to put a more colored gloss on top or it's unwearable. I don't even think about Mac St Germain, I can tell you.

But there are a few neutral lipsticks, kind of "my lips but better" colors that I enjoy wearing when I do a very bright eye look and need to tone down the rest of the face.

Guerlain KissKiss Baby in Rosewood Nude


This is as nude as I can go without looking ridiculous: a soft and velvety lipbalm with a delicate pigmentation. Clearly very close to my lip's natural color, which means I can wear it with pretty much anything.

Maybelline Watershine Lipstick # 46

This is a great frosty beige with a tiny bit of pink in it, perfect for a glossy day look.

Bronze and Browns

Mac Viva Glam VI

This one, which is the original (there is a special edition too) is a warm plumy bronze color with a pearl finish. It's very wearable, really nothing excentric, so it's a great everyday lipstick.

L'Oreal Glam Shine Crystals lipglosses.


I have several of these, including a clear one that is very versatile, since I absolutely love this range since the launch 4 years ago. In the summer a few bronze shades were released and I have 2 of them. I like the color payoff, the smell, the applicator and the texture although it's a bit sticky. I think for the price, it's a very good product.

Pinks, Plums and Berries

Mac O


This one was promoted with the Cult Of Cherry collection but is actually part of the permanent line. It is a plum color infused with metal gold. When you see it it looks more brown than anything else, but when you apply it you definitely see the plum color.



Illamasqua Lipstick in Resist



This was released with the Sirens collection in the Spring of 2009, it's a very bright pink with a matte finish, almost fushia but not quite.
I must admit I was scared the first time I saw it, but when applied with a brush and topped with a bit of gloss to tone down the harshness of a matte (which isn't what I necessarily go for), it's actually extremely wearable. I am very glad I got it.

Lancome Color Fever Lipgloss in Midnight Pink


Don't be fooled by the bright color in the tube: it's a pink clear gloss with nice shimmer in it. I like to wear it on its own but will sometimes put it on top of a brighter pink lipstick to tone it down a bit or make it glossy. This one is actyally a permanent item in my purse!

Illamasqua Intense Lipgloss in Fury.


I have a lot of berry shades. I have always liked them, maybe they wake up my inner goth. So I am not going to bother you with 10 variations of berry colors (yes, I have a lot of them) but will just tell you about my favourite of the moment: Fury. Like every Illamasqua intense lipgloss, it's as pigmented as a lipstick, very pleasant to wear and not sticky. I like the blue undertones in this one, it reminds me of blackcurrant jelly. I know a lit of people complain about the applicator but I actually like it, it's easy to clean up. Also, since there is no way you can apply such a color without a proper lipbrush, it doesn't matter anyway.

Coral.
Mac Ravishing

This is a coraly orange color with a creamsheen finish - which I don't always like because it's very drying for me, but it actually works great when you put lipbalm underneath. This is a very wearable color as it is a bit less intense on the lips than it is on the tube, I often wear it for work since it brings a pop of colour without attracting too much attention.

Red
I think every woman needs a red lipstick, but finding the right red is a long journey. I found mine a long time ago, it was Clinique Angel Red, but this one got discontinued and I eventually ran out of backups. So I started hunting again, and for a long time didn't wear any red because I just couldn't find the right one: not orangey, not too pink, not too crimson, a hint of blue but not too much...
I am very very glad I have found it.

Mac Dubonnet
(although I happen to wear Mac Red sometimes but I think it doesn't look as good on me)



Also loved but not mentioned (10 isn't enough!)

Illamasqua intense lipgloss in Move, a purple with lilac undertone, close to a berry color but pinkier and lighter than Fury.

YSL Rouge Volupte in Dirty Burgundy which is very dark and intense.

Mac Hello Kitty lipgloss in Mimmy, a peachy pink that looks great on its own.

Gosh Light'n Shine Lipglaze in Bronze, which actually has a lot of gold in it and is a perfect dupe of Mac dazzleglass.

No comments:

Post a Comment