Monday, August 30, 2010

Review: Urban Decay Book Of Shadows Volume 1


Yes, this is volume 1! I thought I'd finally get round to swatching and reviewing the Book of Shadows palettes I had in anticipation of the third one being released! I've just had the shipping notification on my order, I'm excited! I didn't buy the Alice Book of Shadows as none of those were new shades, so I've only got the previous two palettes.

Volume 1 was released in 2008 and quite quickly sold out all over the place. I think I got mine in Lincoln at Debenhams. Actually, I'm sure of it as House of Fraser had them locked away in a drawer and a grumpy SA who didn't want to find the keys.


I think this has been the prettiest Book Of Shadows so far, even compared to Volume 3. The lid hides pop-up butterflies and makeup. Although, to be honest, I only looked at it once when I bought it and again to take photos. It's pretty, but useless. The mirror is a good size but the lid won't stay open unless you're holding it.


There are 16 shadows in a pull out tray. This palette came with a mini Primer Potion (which has long since been used up) and two completely useless brushes. They come with mini 24/7 liners now which is much, much better.

Some of the shades were exclusive to the palette, but I can't remember which as some have since appeared in other palettes. The pans are a really good size. You're getting plenty of product here!


-Perversion - nearly matte black, I'm sure it's more satin than totally matte
-Last Call - shimmery metallic wine/plum
-Grifter - shimmery lilac with silver micro glitter
-Mayhem - shimmery bright blue toned purple


-Baked - metallic gold with a copper hint
-Smog - metallic dirty bronze
-Sidecar - silvery brown shimmer with silver micro glitter
-Gridlock - metallic brown with a silver hint. Same colour family as Sidecar but deeper in tone


-Shakedown - metallic grey with green tones
-Roach - shimmery plum/brown
-Scandal - golden pinky peach
-Midnight Cowboy - shimmery beige with chunky silver glitter


-Goddess - deep blackened blue with a slight blue shimmer and blue sparkle (not glitter)
-Shattered - shimmery light green/blue
-Absinthe - glowing yellow green with a golden highlight
-Protest - shimmery deep olive green

Midnight Cowboy is just a mess of glitter. Shame really as the beige is really pretty. You might be able to see remaining glitter in the last set of swatches. I have no idea why Urban Decay keep including that (and Midnight Cowboy Rides Again) in virtually every palette they do. Most of the shadows are richly pigmented, only Goddess was on the sheer side. The metallic shadows all feel very smooth and creamy.

Worth picking up if you can find it. But I suspect that's only going to be with eBay's inflated prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment