Sunday, March 22, 2009

Review: Gosh Velvet Touch Foundation Primer

I bought this as an alternative to the Smashbox Photofinish primer as the Smashbox isn't readily available where I live. I'd seen several great reviews of this so I decided that I'd give it a go.


Gosh is sold in the UK at Spuerdrug, pretty much every Superdrug has some kind of Gosh stand. Though in some of the stores, it's a huge stand. I actually bought this at the Meadowhall Superdrug which had one of the very large, open benches as the Gosh stand. But this product is even sold at the Superdrugs with only a narrow stand (Lincoln, Grimsby and Boston as examples).

You get 30ml (1.0 floz) for less than £10. I think it was around £9ish. I could be wrong, I don't have the receipt any longer and I didn't note the price last time I went into a Superdrug.



The primer is a matte, colourless gel. I noticed no definite scent to it. The texture of the gel is very smooth and slippery. It smooths out very easily and evenly over my face. I used my fingers to apply it after pumping some onto the back of my hand. It felt as though it absorbed into my skin quite quickly, leaving it smooth and even. Foundation applied very smoothly over the top of the primer.

At the end of a day of work, about 12 hours after I've applied both the primer and foundation, I'm aware of feeling it on my skin. I can touch my face and feel the primer. It's a feeling that builds throughout the day. Straight after application it feels wonderful but as the day goes on, it begins to feel a little greasy, not oily, but greasy.

Then, around a week of using this every day I began to get spots. Not the occassional hormonal breakout I get however. These were deep and painful spots. I haven't had spots like that since I was 15. I did suspect it was a new moisturiser I was trying but something I'd seen in a video about primers made me then suspect it was this primer. So, without making any other changes to my skincare routine, I stopped using this primer. Within 2 days my spots had virtually gone.

While I'm aware it may have just been a flare-up I'm not prepared to try using this primer again just in case I get spots like that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment