Sunday, April 19, 2009

Review: Manly 24 Grande Eye Shadow Palette

A favourite online passtime of mine is browsing the depths of Ebay for make up. I'm not fussy if it's coming from Hong Kong, Europe, the US or where ever, just as long as it looks interesting. That's how I found this:


I think a lot of you will recognise the brand from the multitude of 120 palettes floating around on Youtube. This one is the 24 Grande Eye Shadow palette. I paid about £22 with shipping for this palette. Not a bad price, including shipping from Hong Kong. It came wrapped up in a huge roll of bubble wrap.

The weight on the front of the box if listed at 120g. That means a weight of 5g for each shadow.


Upon opening I was struck between the similarities between this and another "Grande" palette in my collection, to the point where the bottom layer of colours have the same names: click The colours are similar in some cases, but not the same. There was one casualty in the shipping. The yellow shade (Sun Yellow) was destroyed. Fortunately, each pan of eye shadow had a lid so it hadn't exploded all over the palette.


I was able to scrape everything up and repress it.

These are very, very soft eye shadows. They don't feel like they've been pressed very heavily. My yellow repress looks like there is less in there as I've pressed it harder than these have been. I have actually gouged a couple as they are so soft. You will get fall out with these! I prefer to pat them over something a bit sticky (like a shadestick) to reduce the amount of fall out.

The palette includes 2 matte shades: black and brown. They are actually pretty decent and not too chalky, unless you pack on loads. They're both good colours for deepening a crease and I'm planning on trying the black with a wet brush as a liner.

Top Layer:


-Ice
-Shine Orange
-Bright Red (actually a very pretty pink)
-Pink
-Sapphire Blue
-Black (matte)
-Ocean Blue
-Dark Blue
-Coffee
-Paris Green
-Aztec Gold
-Brown (matte)

Bottom Layer:


-Ice
-Aztec Gold
-Silver
-Azalea
-Cosmic Blue
-Sun Yellow
-Iced Gold
-Tangerine
-Chartreuse
-Jade
-Amethyst
-Cosmic Violet

Overall, it's a fun palette to have. The quality is pretty good but it's really not comparable to Ben Nye, Urban Decay, etc. I still would think the 120 palette is the better investment if you are starting out and want a lot of colours to see what works for you.

I'll leave you with my favourite colour from the palette - Jade


No comments:

Post a Comment