Friday, November 20, 2009

Review: Nars Blusher "Orgasm"

I'm well aware that there are probably 100001 reviews of this already out on blog and YouTube land but it's such a supposedly "iconic" product that I thought I would add my thoughts to the pile.


Nars "Orgasm" blusher is one of those products that every beauty junkie seems to have and talk about. I bought mine after reading about it so many times on message boards. I had a visit to London a few years back and decided to take the plunge.

Nars blushers don't come cheap. I think this cost about £18.00 ( quick visit to the Nars website shows a current price of £18.50).

Now, one of the reasons I bought this was that I had seen mentioned how pigmented the blusher was. However, on the Nars website it states that the blusher gives a soft and sheer look. When I have tried testers in store, there has always been plenty of pigment. Though I think that's been helped along by the oils in a thousand other fingers that have poked at the testers.

I don't really have an opinion either way with the packaging. Some hate it as it gets really grubby. I haven't really noticed mine doing that. I'm not storing it with a load of powder, it just sits happily in a large drawer with my other blushers.

This blusher is a pinky peachy with golden shimmer. It's meant to be a universally flattering shade, but I honestly can't see it working that well for those with a deep skin tone. It's a very popular shade with Nars stating this to be their best selling product (or so I've been told at just about *every* visit to a counter).

I'm not a fan of this particular blusher. I love the colour in the pan, but this particular blusher just does not work for me. On my skin it shows up as only the barest hint of pink with quite a bit of golden shimmer. I wanted more pigmentation for my £18.00! Just as well that this is a popular shade and a quick reach into my blusher drawer revealed 3 dupes. I'm sure I could have found more if I looked through properly but these were sat on the top after obviously being recently used!


The top one is Urban Decay "Score", which costs around £10/£11. The pink base is stronger and it shows up much better on my skin.

Lower left is The Body Shop "Golden Pink", which costs £8ish (I think). It's not as pigmented as "Score" and doesn't have so much gold shimmer. There is a tiny amount of sparkle in it.

Lower right is Milani "Luminous" which is the closest colour-wise to "Orgasm". This one cost me around $6.00 from someone I used the chat to in the US. It's more pigmented than "Orgasm" and a heck of a lot cheaper!

I don't really have an issue with blushers fading on me. These will all last on me throughout the day (or evening). At least with "Orgasm" there is still gold shimmer on my cheeks at the end of the day!

My camera utterly failed to show any swatches I tried to do.

Do I really need to say anything about the name?

No comments:

Post a Comment