Monday, September 27, 2010

How to: wash your brushes.


I have seen dozens of videos on how to wash your makeup brushes.
(Because you do have to wash them. YO DO know that, right??)

Even though the method is virtually always the same - use warm water, don't wet the metal part, let them air dry either hanging upside down or laying - the opinion very often differ on what product to use.

When I started buying brushes, I asked for advice to several Mac makeup artists at several free standing stores (both pro store and regular one), and I always got the same answer:


Marseille soap, the most basic, obviously unscented one, in bar form (liquid has additives).

Marseille soap is made of 72% vegetal oil, most often a blend of olive oil and a couple of other oils. That's why it does condition your brushes as well as it cleanse them.
You gently rub the wet brush on the soap, you'll see the dirt go out, you rinse and that's it. If necessary, like with very dirty foundation brushes, you do it twice and it works perfectly. This works for synthetic brushes as well as for natural hair ones.
Then you put brush guards around your brushes and you're done. My oldest brushes are 2 years old and they're still as good as new!

You can buy Marseille soap from Amazon.com, it's pretty cheap and a big bar will last you for months.

If I need to spot cleanse a brush between 2 deep cleansing sessions, I use the Makeup For Ever brush cleanser because it works great and dries almost instantly.

Happy brush washing :)

EDIT: since this got mentioned in the comments and it's a very widely spread method, I need to add that the Mac artists I talked to regarding this subject all stronlgy advised against baby shampoo. One of them even told me that if I had to use shampoo, I should rather go for a regular one than for a baby product.

No comments:

Post a Comment