Monday, December 28, 2009

Evil Shades Minerals

One of my favourite blogs to read is Fresco Phyrra as she's an absolute mineral nut like me! She's always trying brands I haven't come across yet so I always have something new to look at. One of the brands she's recently inspired me to order from was Evil Shades as the pigments looked amazing.

I was also quite interested as Evil Shades are part of the Mineral Makeup Mutiny, which I will be posting more on in the future. As someone who owns a lot of minerals, and has ordered from the main wholesalers, it is disappointing to receive mineral pigments that are the same as the base shades I already own! Evil Shades do blend their own unique colours.

Evil Shades is not the easiest website to order from, I must admit. I ordered the full set of 15 eye shadow samples for $9.50. Individual samples are $0.75 each. The photo on that page isn't very clear, and it is hard to see which samples you are ordering unless you go to the full sized eye shadows page.

Also, if you are outside of the US and want to order *do not* order directly from the website! Her cart isn't set up for international shipping and you will be charged a flat rate of around $13. I sent an email, as she directed on the site, to receive a paypal invoice with the correct shipping. Within 24 hours my initial questions were answered and I had paid. She also pointed out that she was adding a new collection to her site in case I wanted to wait before I ordered.


The samples took 2 weeks to arrive. The samples arrived loose within a padded envelope, along with a business card. An invoice listing the samples would have been helpful as it wasn't until I cross checked with the site that I realised 3 samples were missing. That evening when showing off my order on blogtv I noticed that not only were 3 of the sample missing, I had duplicates of a couple of them. I emailed Evil Shades and she promised that my missing samples would be sent out asap.

I received the missing samples roughly two weeks later, along with a couple of extra samples from the new collection. I haven't included those in this post as they are not colours I think I'll wear. I'm pretty pleased with the way my issue was resolved, the slow mail was mostly due to it being November/December. Mail always slows down at that time of year.


Of course, I've put them all into my 3g jars. Some look about 1/4tsp, some look closer to 1/2tsp. Where I've had a duplicate sample of a pigment, I've managed to pretty much fill the jar.

The colours are interesting and quite unique. She has a mission statement on her site which I love!

Her prices are incredible. A full sized jar of pigment ranges from $2.85-$3.50. I may order a full sized jar or two of my favourite colours, but the samples are so huge that I doubt I'll ever use one up. I may order again as I'll be keeping an eye on the new collections that get put out.

I swatched all the pigments from my initial order (not including those extra two) as the pictures on the site are pretty inaccurate. I had initially been worried that some of my pigments were not right but the swatches Nymphette has done here and here were all the same as mine.

All the swatches have been done in the usual way I do mineral pigments - with a damp cotton bud.

Firstly, the swatches of the Illusion eye shadows. These all have holographic glitter.


-Devil's Bonfire - deep black base with holographic glitter
-Mysteria - shimmery lavender with holographic glitter
-Erinnye - reddish plum berry shimmer with holographic glitter
-Acolyte - black based green shimmer with holographic glitter
-Nymphette - black based blue shimmer (listed on site with Illusion shadows, but has none of the glitter)

Then the rest of the loose eye shadows.


-13th Hour - black base with a very deep blue highlight
-Banshee - bright blue shimmer
-Abyss - purpley blue shimmer
-Coffin - pretty much the same as Erinnye but without the glitter
-Double Barrel - black base with gunmetal silver shimmer
-Moonlit - silvery white sparkle


-Panic - bright (but not neon) pink shimmer
-Sinister - apple green shimmer
-Suffocation - reddish pink with blue shimmer
-Venom - deep black
-Silver Bullet - silver sparkle
-Zombie - black base with rich red shimmer

These weren't the easiest minerals to work with. Pretty much none of them wanted to cooperate with foiling, their texture was extremely dry. Even when foiled I had to swipe a couple of times to show the richness of some of the pigments. The ones with a black base were better as the ones without were quite sheer when they were swatched dry.

I don't like a couple of colours. "Moonlight" and "Silver Bullet" don't really have a base colour so aren't going to work so well on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment