Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Review: Urban Decay Preen Shadow Box

This was one of the Urban Decay goodies I bought on a recent trip to Lincoln. Urban Decay always do a very good job of parting me from my money, their stuff is just too pretty.


I apologise for the slightly less than brilliant picture, but I got way too much glare when everything was in the clear plastic case.

I bought this from House of Fraser in Lincoln for £18.00. Perhaps a little overpriced, the Book of Shadow palettes are only £10.00 more. It's available on the Urban Decay website for the time being (it is limited edition, after all) and we need a UK Urban Decay site!

*Please note this palette may be known as the Show Pony Shadow Box in some locations. The packaging is different but the contents are the same.*

This palette comes with 6 eye shadows (2 of which are unique to this palette), a mini 24/7 liner in "Zero" and a mini Primer Potion.


Please click on the images for a larger version. I've left them a little larger than usual to show detail.

In the palette you get the following shadows (0.90g):
-Snatch* - peachy pink with golden glitter
-Mildew - slightly dirty metallic green
-Flash - bright, vivid purple
-Painkiller* - bright aqua blue with a touch of gold shimmer
-Smog - golden brown
-Toasted - somewhere between taupe and brown

The two shades with a star are unique to the palette. All the shadows are shimmery, almost metallic with "Snatch" having some glitter. It's not to the obnoxious level of "Midnight Cowboy" but is still a little annoying. All 6 shadows are richly pigmented, smooth and easy to blend together. I swatched over primer on my arm as that's how I would wear the shadows.

The palette also comes with a mini sized Primer Potion (3.7ml), which comes with the new bent doe foot applicator. I honestly don't know why they don't just put the Primer Potion in packaging similar to the new face primers. I've got a few tubes of the stuff floating around now, I use it a lot! I'll be keeping one of these mini bottles for my travels, and also reviewing Primer Potion in a separate blog post.

Finally, you also get a mini sized (0.80g) 24/7 liner pencil in "Zero". I stuck it on the end of my swatches. It's a really good, basic black eye liner. Another item that keeps popping up in palettes and sets! It's always useful so I can't complain too much! I honestly think "Zero" is one of the items pretty much every one needs in their collection! The 24/7 formulation is pretty much the best out there and "Zero" is a rich black shade that doesn't lean towards green. So many black pencil liners do that, very annoying. I'll be reviewing the 24/7 liners in more depth, but, just to be brief, it goes on smooth, it's very pigmented and it once it's on and set it doesn't go anywhere!

Initially, this palette may look like a mish mash of random shades but it's a very versatile palette. I've worn a few combinations to create everything from toned down neutrals to obnoxiously bright.

-Toasted on the lid, Smog in the crease.
-Pack Painkiller on the lid and add Flash to the outer edge
-Try using Mildew smudged onto the lower liner

Let's not forget the packaging! It's cardboard so be careful not to get it wet! The peacock design is just gorgeous, I just love how the design is repeated over the rest of the case.

I've mentioned before that I love Urban Decay's palettes and this one is no exception!

No comments:

Post a Comment