Thursday, December 24, 2009

Why I love makeup

The lovely Lina from The Beauty Look Book asked her readers why they love makeup and what their favourite brands are.
I thought I'd answer here so I have more space to ramble :)

1) Why Do I Love Makeup? I have been fascinated by makeup since as long as I can remember. When I was a little girl, I would spend vacations at my grandmother's and I remember that my aunt used to apply her Chanel blush and lipstick in bright daylight, in the living-room, every morning before going to work. I would always ask her to put some pink on my cheeks, which she would do sometimes, and I really loved it.

There are other, more rational, reasons of course. Makeup is for everyone, it doesn't matter how old you are, what your style is, what your budget is, even. Unlike fashion, makeup has something to offer to every women.
It's an incredible boost for self-confidence - I feel like myself but better- and a great way to be creative on a daily basis.

It's also what fulfills my need to be different in a world of conformism. Being at work in a business suit with double winged eyeliner is incredibly satisfying.

2) What Do I Look For in a Brand?

I do make a different between brand and product.
In a product, I look for quality: pigmentation, staying power, value for money.
In a brand, I look for something totally different: I look for something the brand is going to say about me, or will allow me to express. And I can find different things in very different brands. I love Chanel foundations because of their quality (which is always the first thing I'll consider) and because Chanel sounds like glamour and elegance. I love Illamasqua just as much, because it says I'm different.


3) What are my top favorite brands?

I am not loyal to one brand at all. I think they all have strenghts and weaknesses and we should pick what suits us in every brand. For example, as much as I love Chanel foundations, I hate their eyeshadows with a passion.

I also find my favourite brands have changed a lot through the years as my needs, wants and budget were changing as well.
Right now I do use a wide variety of brands:

- Mac and Urban Decay are my favourite for eyeshadows because there is a lot of choice
- Illamasqua is my favourite brand for blushes, bold lipglosses and their cream foundation
- Barry M Dazzle Dusts are the best pigments ever
- Armani and Chanel are my favourite for foundations
- YSL is fantastic for lipsticks and mascaras
- Bobby Brown have great basics like gel liners and concealer
- for nailpolish, I like OPI, China Glaze and Rimmel London

And yes, through the years, I have used less and less drugstore stuff because I could afford high end, but I still shop at the drugstore quite often. I like Prestige Minerals, the lipsticks from Maybelline or Nivea Beauté, the Colossal mascaras from Maybelline.
And my favourite brow product is an Essence powder that costs less than 2€.

Feel free to answer the questions in the comment or in your blog and post a link here!

No comments:

Post a Comment