Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodbye 2009, Hello 2010!!

2009 has been an insanely busy year for me, both personally and with regards to YouTube and this blog. I honestly couldn't have done it without any of you!

I began on YouTube in 2008, after being persistently poked by one of my friends. She sent me a link to one of Lauren Luke's videos wanting to know why I wasn't doing it as well. I gave it a go and in early 2008 I put up my first video. I never, ever expected the response I got. What began as something I didn't think would last 5 minutes has now gone on for nearly 2 years!

After my first few videos, I had repeated requests to start a blog. I'd tried in the past and it had just fallen to one side after a couple of months. I honestly wish I had continued the first Confessions of a Make Up Addict I began around 5 years ago. I deleted that blog several years ago and then forgot about the account I had here at Blogspot.

I resisted the idea as I thought a new blog would just go the same way. But by now I had literally had hundreds of requests to begin a blog. So, early in 2009 I dusted off the account (I even had to do the Google account transfer, it was that long ago since I logged on), started a new blog and put my first post up.

People started reading, then more, then I got more followers, more messages, emails and more readers. I hadn't expected people to be interested in yet another beauty blog. And here I am, nearly a year later, still going strong. It's thanks to all of you. For your messages, your support, and just being interested in what a girl in Lincolnshire has to say about beauty.

I met up with my first fellow YouTuber in 2009, arranging a trip to Meadowhall in February to meet Sophie for a day of shopping. Neither of us were sure we were going to make it as we were under pretty much blizzard conditions that day. We both made it to Meadowhall in one piece and had a fantastic day shopping and chatting about make up and YouTube. We had to abandon Meadowhall early though due to the weather. I was nervous about meeting her but I didn't need to worry at all! Meeting Sophie was just like catching up with an old friend, she's just lovely.

I visited London more times in 2009 than I had for the last 5 years. The Body Shop kicked it all off, recognizing that bloggers were worth paying attention to. They arranged an event that knocked every one's socks off and I met up with people I had only seen online before. Being treated like a VIP was certainly an experience! The Body Shop absolutely spoiled us! But I wasn't too sure the next day when I had bruises on my shoulder from carrying the goodie bag. The whole group of us went shopping after the event and had a fantastic time. Again, meeting Jasmine was like catching up with an old friend. I also had a lovely chat with Jen, Natalya and Rebecca, which you can read (along with links to all their fantastic blogs) here.

I went down again for the Barry M event which was just crazy! I met so many other bloggers and YouTubers and got a bit start struck when Sam from Pixiwoo *knew who I was!!*. It was so very busy at that event that I didn't get chance to speak to who I wanted to. I managed only a very quick "hi & bye" with Richie. Fortunately this time Jasmine insisted I stayed overnight at hers rather than forking out for a hotel. We had planned on doing a joint vlog, but only got round to it in November! And it was lovely to catch up with Sophie again.

A few more events were held over the summer, all of which I had to miss due to a combination of lack of funds and working hard. I got invites to a few events only 2 weeks before they were due so there was no way I could get down to London for them.

The next one I managed to get to was the Maybelline one. It was fun to catch up again with Jasmine and Jen, and meet Yinka but I left that event feeling somewhat disillusioned with the blogging world.

I had to do some very hard thinking about what it is I wanted from YouTube and blogging. My thoughts and aims for both had changed drastically in the previous few months. There were girls whose blogs I had read and liked who were turning out to be extremely backstabbing and bitchy. The blogging world was becoming something I was not wanting to be involved with. You can see over the summer how low my posting level was. At that point, I was ready to throw the whole thing in.

Like I said, some hard thinking later and I came up with a solution. I changed the format of my YouTube channel. Tutorials are nearly phased out. I won't be getting rid of them completely but they're no longer my focus. I'm burnt out on tutorials. After over 250 videos, I'm not enjoying them at the moment. I removed all these negative bloggers from my following list and favourites folders. If I can't see them posting, then they can't bother me. I also removed the option for anonymous commenting and all comments are moderated. It solved a huge part of my problems.

I got down to Oxford again for what I think was my favourite event of the year: the ELF event. I felt re-inspired after talking to everyone at the event and I knew where it was I wanted to head with my YouTube and blog. I do have to thank Jasmine hugely, she's patiently listened to me ranting and rambling several times.

2009 has certainly been eventful! It has been fantastic to get to know so many other lovely bloggers. I've been recognized in London a couple of times, which is quite frankly the most bizarre feeling in the world. Also, getting told people have seen me shopping, or at events but were too scared to come and say "hi" is also very strange. I promise I'm friendly! Just tell me why a random person is saying "hello". I promise, I'll be just as nervous as you are!

I've tried so many new things over the last year. I will continue to accept products from PR people and, as always, I promise to be nothing but 100% honest. I know that some of you go and buy these products after I've reviewed them or talked about them. There's no way I can lie about something! I'm not getting paid for any of these videos or blog posts by any of the companies. I've had opportunities to try brands and products that otherwise I would either have no access or money for, so I'm grateful that I get to play with so many new products!

I was absolutely thrilled to be asked by ELF to be one of the people doing videos for their channel on YouTube. I've been able to try so many amazing new products that I don't think I could ever be without. Each product is getting absolutely thoroughly tested and all will eventually be reviewed somewhere between my YouTube channel and blog.

2010 is again going to be a busy year, both personally and online. I've got a list a mile long of what I want to touch on! I'm going to be dealing a lot with minerals in 2010. I'm disappointed with myself over the fact that they rarely get mentioned in my blog and nowhere near as much as they used to on my YouTube channel. I've dusted off my Etsy account and started to compile a list of companies to order from.

I don't know if I'm going to be attending any events next year. It all depends on any invitations I get and who they're from! I do need to save up for a holiday in the summer so not going to London will save me a fortune!

I just want to take the opportunity to say a huge thank you to everyone who has ever read any of my blog posts or watched any of my YouTube videos. All the amazing opportunities and experiences I've had in 2009 are entirely due to the fact there are some of you who sit and watch or read what I have to say.

I hope you all have a happy 2010! And I hope you keep being interested in what I've got to say about all this beauty stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment